What is an Avocado Smoothie?
An avocado smoothie is a blended drink made from the avocado fruit and other ingredients. Milk, dairy products, and even milk alternatives are commonly used as a liquid base for this smoothie. As this fruit has become more popular in recent years, people have found many ways to enjoy the avocado.
- This smoothie is popularly consumed as a snack, dessert, or breakfast.
- An avocado smoothie is an excellent way to integrate nutritious fruits into a diet.
According to the California Rare Fruit Growers, five common cultivars of avocado are:
Origin of avocado smoothie
The avocado originated in the town of Puebla in south-central Mexico. Locals in this region have been consuming avocados for thousands of years. Legend has it that Mesoamerican tribes were the first set of people to domesticate the avocado tree. This fruit held a lot of importance in the lives and cultures of these native people. The Aztecs also believed that the avocado could give strength to anyone who ate it.
Spanish explorers got to know this fruit in the 1600s and later transported it across the Atlantic. In 1871, Judge R.B. Ord of Santa Barbara established the avocado in the United States. By the early 19th century, people began to see the commercial prospects of this fruit. Today, California is the biggest producer of avocados in the US. The avocado smoothie is just one of the many drinks people can make with this iconic fruit.
A 16 oz serving of this smoothie offers:
Avocado smoothies have numerous health benefits, which include:
- They are high in potassium, which reduces blood pressure.
- This drink is rich in fiber, which is good for weight loss.
- This beverage can help to cut down triglyceride and cholesterol levels.
- Avocado smoothies have a lot of antioxidants, which can help protect the eyes.
- This beverage might be able to alleviate symptoms of arthritis.
The avocado grows well in sandy and limestone soils. During the growth period of an avocado tree, it does not require much pruning. Avocado trees cannot thrive in flooded or very wet conditions. Proper irrigation is the best way to make these trees grow properly. The harvesting of this fruit usually commences in the early winter.
The avocado smoothie is straightforward to make. Simply follow the steps below:
- First, peel the avocado and remove the pit.
- Then, blend the avocado with milk and any other ingredient you want to utilize.
- Finally, serve the smoothie or refrigerate it immediately.
There are a few essential tips that can help you while making this drink.
- Be sure to use a ripe avocado fruit. To find a ripe avocado, squeeze the fruit gently, if it feels a little bit soft then it’s ripe.
- You can decide to use canned coconut milk or any other type of milk you want.
- Add other fruits or vegetables, if you desire.
To store an avocado smoothie, keep it in a glass container with an airtight lid. Fill the container to the brim to get rid of any excess air that can spoil the drink. You can also add lemon juice to prevent oxidation. An avocado smoothie can last in the fridge for 24 hours.
Avocado smoothie recipes
This smoothie can be prepared in many ways. Here are five recipes you can try:
- Creamy Avocado Smoothie
- Almond Butter Milkshake
- Blueberry Avocado Banana Smoothie
- Avocado Banana Green Smoothie
- Chocolate Raspberry Milkshake
The Food and Drug Administration classifies avocados as a raw agricultural commodity. The body regulates every aspect of their production, harvesting, and packaging. The FDA also lists the avocado as one of the most commonly consumed fruits in the United States.
Gunnars, Kris. “12 Proven Health Benefits of Avocado.” www.healthline.com, Healthline Media, 29 June 2018, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/12-proven-benefits-of-avocado#TOC_TITLE_HDR_11www.healthline.com/nutrition/12-proven-benefits-of-avocado.%20
Iosune. “Avocado Smoothie.” www.simpleveganblog.com, Simple Vegan Blog, 22 Apr. 2020, simpleveganblog.com/avocado-smoothie/.